November is flying and by and that means Winter weather is just around the corner. While drivers in Bergen County may be ready for the challenges of Winter weather, your vehicle may not be! Harsh Winter conditions and extreme temperatures can be extremely hard on vehicles. We’ve put together a list of tips you can take to make sure your vehicle is ready to safely and effectively drive during the Winter months.
Winter Vehicle Preparation Tips
- Invest in snow tires. Snow (or Winter) tires are designed to withstand extreme temperatures and offer increased traction in harsh conditions. And don’t forget to keep an eye on your tire pressure.
- Get your oil changed. As the weather gets colder, old and dirty oil gets too thick to properly lubricate your engine. Check out lower viscosity motor oil during cold weather.
- Prepare a winter emergency kit. Make sure to have supplies in case of a breakdown, including blankets, ice scraper, extra warm clothes, cell phone charger, jumper cables, a flashlight and anything else you can think of that will help you in an emergency situation.
- Check your battery. Extreme temperatures put an extra strain on your battery. Have it tested to see if it can hold a charge to avoid having your car not start.
- Replace your wiper blades. Winter weather means a lot of precipitation. Whether that’s snow, rain or sleet, a new set of wipers are a cheap and simple way to improve visibility and safety for upcoming Winter trips.
We know this isn’t a complete list, but we hope that by reading some of these tips, you’ll start thinking about what you can do to prepare for all of the variables that come with winter driving. Have a tip we missed? Leave a comment below to let us know!