January is almost halfway complete and the Winter season is in full effect. The roads are more dangerous this time of year thanks to the frequent inclement weather. While most New Jersey drivers know how to drive in hazardous Winter weather, it never hurts to review driving tips that could help keep you safe in the event of an emergency. Scroll down to read our tips to help correct your vehicle while it skids on ice.
How to Correct a Skid on Ice
While safe driving habits will lower your chance of an emergency, accidents do happen. Here are some tips to help you in case your vehicle begins to skid on snow or ice:
- Remove your foot from the accelerator.
- Using your accelerator will spin your vehicle’s wheels, so it’s the last thing you want to touch in the event of a skid. Move your foot away from the accelerator and onto the brake pedal.
- Avoid slamming on the brakes.
- With modern vehicles with anti-lock brakes, slamming your foot on the brake pedal won’t necessarily help you stop. Instead, softly “pump” the brakes – this will trigger your ABS to safely lock your brakes.
- Steer away from the skid.
- If your car is skidding in one direction, steer to the opposite direction to ‘correct’ your vehicle’s orientation.
- Don’t oversteer.
- Wildy turning your steering wheel will do nothing but make your car spin more violently. Try to calmly correct your vehicle using the steering wheel effectively.
STAY SAFE WITH THESE WINTER WEATHER DRIVING TIPS
The Winter season is back, and that means that more than likely, inclement weather is just around the corner. Before you venture out into the harsh conditions of Bergen County in the Winter, take a look at our list of Winter driving tips to refresh your memory. Remember, too, the best Winter driving tip is to stay home, if you can, during severe weather. We know this list isn’t complete, but hopefully, there are enough ideas here to get you thinking and preparing for your own Winter driving.
The best Winter driving tip is to ensure your vehicle is in good enough condition to handle the harsh conditions ahead. Schedule a service appointment online and get your vehicle into Mazda of Lodi to have our team of experts make sure your vehicle is safe and ready to perform this coming Winter season! Contact us or stop in and talk to a member of our knowledgeable team today!